Company: Magellan Health
Posted on: November 10, 2019
Candidate must be licensed in the State they are working at the
Independent level (for the exception of OCONUS).
The On-Call/Substitute MFLC Counselor, will provide coverage in
short-term, surge and on demand situations resulting from the
Military needs such as a post-deployment event or to cover an
existing assignment for counselors who are absent. The Summer
On-Call counselor position covers assignments during the May 15th
through September 15th time period, coinciding with the school
summer break. With minimal guidance and oversight, provides the
full breadth of Adult or Child and Youth Behavioral (CYB)
counseling services to military service members and their families
at military installations. These services may include non- medical
counseling, training/health and wellness presentations,
consultation with parents, personnel at child daycare centers and
schools, and consultation to installation command regarding
behavioral health issues affecting military personnel and their
family members. On call CYB counselors may be assigned to DoDEA
schools and community schools and will need to have experience
working in a school setting to qualify for on call role in backing
up a school position. CYB counselors may also be assigned to youth
programs, summer camps, and on demand assignments. On call adult
counselors may be assigned to support MFLC services in a variety of
military community and readiness centers, as well as on-demand and
surge assignments. The counselors work closely with the
installation and military branch Points of Contact (POC) to assure
that the program is provided within scope and meets the needs of
* Provides non-medical, short term, solution focused, counseling
directly to adults, children, and youth of service members.
Services include assessment, brief counseling and consultation,
action planning, referral to resources (assuring linkage as
appropriate), and follow-up as indicated.
* CYB counselors will also have a focus on supporting the staff and
personnel of CDCs, DoDEA and community schools, youth programs and
summer camps as well as providing parent training and guidance.
* Provides training and health and wellness presentations,
participate in health fairs and other base/installation
* Enters counselor activity data daily through smart phone or web
application assure that reporting is accurate from assigned
installation while maintaining confidentiality and anonymity of
service / family member.
General Job Information
Military & Family Life Counselor, On Call Counselor (various
locations throughout the US and Oconus)
Clinical Services Group
United States of America
United States of America (Non-Exempt)
Recruiting Start Date
Date Requisition Created
Masters: Behavioral Health (Required)
License and Certifications - Required
Current licensure required for this position that meets State,
Commonwealth or customer-specific requirements - Care Mgmt, LPC -
Licensed Professional Counselor - Care Mgmt, Must be an
independently licensed behavioral health clinician - Care Mgmt
License and Certifications - Preferred
Other Job Requirements
* A minimum one year of post licensure counseling experience.
* With short notice, willing to accept assignments of undefined
periods to include weekends.
* Can cover, on a full-time basis, assignments of varying length
from a weekend to two weeks.
* Quickly builds rapport with service personnel clients, family
members, students, parents and co-workers.
* Adaptable to new working conditions, varying location rules,
etc.; adjusts working style to align with each work
* Able to work effectively with minimal instruction and
* Listens carefully to instructions provided.
* With minimal notice, participates in regular
in-services/training, Quality Improvement committees or other
contract activities as assigned.
* Requires ability to quickly engage and communicate with military
members, spouses or children as assigned, in order to accomplish
job functions, and to respond quickly to emergent situations in any
physical location on a military installation and/or within a school
setting, which includes the need to traverse short and/or long
distances within the base to both indoor and outdoor locations, to
maneuver through rugged, outdoor or uneven locations (e.g., steep
inclines, stairs, grass), and work in outdoor weather and other
military base conditions. Due to the nature of working on military
installations or related worksites, counselors may need to comply
with various site-specific requirements to work at designated
locations. For example, for some assignments, counselors will need
to have certain current immunizations or vaccinations and provide
record of receipt.
* Ability to prove US Citizenship and must be fluent in
* Advanced knowledge of brief therapy and solution-focused
* Prior military service/military family member and/or strong
familiarity with military culture desired.
* For CYB positions must meet the Magellan MFLC CYB criteria for
experience with children and youth and specialty in child and
* Creates a presence on the installation in which the service and
family members feel comfortable approaching the counselor and
recognize the program to be confidential; for CYB counselors --
creates a presence in child and youth settings, is available to
children, youth, and staff. When working with children, counselor
must abide by line of site protocol.
* Establishes and maintains working relationships with community
resources and provides appropriate linkages.
* Partners with POC to provide Adult and CYB services in a manner
that addresses the needs of the installation/facility. Develops an
excellent working relationship with the installation/facility
* Manages duty to warn and restricted reporting situations
according to DoD protocol and staffs the cases with Regional
* Communicates with Regional Supervisors and participate in regular
individual and group supervision, sharing information regarding
trends and issues on the installations and in facilities to which
they are assigned for substitute or on call services.
* Responds to critical incidents and special requests as directed
by the POC and approved by the OSD program manager.
Magellan Health Services is proud to be an Equal Opportunity
Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled. Every
employee must understand, comply and attest to the security
responsibilities and security controls unique to their
Keywords: Magellan Health, Killeen , Family Therapist, Healthcare , Killeen, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!