Job Title: Urban Bus Driver (Part-time)
Department: Urban Operations
Reports To: Assistant Director of Urban Operations
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Revision Date: September 18, 2019
Effective Date: April 22, 2014
SUMMARY Responsible for providing transportation services to all
individuals, including persons with disabilities, in a safe and
timely manner, and for properly operating and maintaining the
transit vehicle assigned to him/her. Responsible for complying with
all Hill Country Transit District (HCTD) policies and procedures
and all funding source regulations and requirements.
Hill Country Transit District offers very flexible schedules for
our part time drivers (working less than 30 hours a week). You will
have the flexibility to work 5 hour shifts on the following days:
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. We will work with your
availability, providing you with the options to work mornings,
evenings, or any combination of shifts or days off. The following
shifts will be available:
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Must be able to follow a predetermined fixed route and/or daily
special transit service route.
- Complies with all routing and scheduling directives.
- Performs pre-operation safety inspections; requests servicing
and repairs verbally and in writing as necessary. Maintains
cleanliness and appearance of vehicle, both inside and out.
- Maintains all required passenger and vehicle records.
- Operates transit vehicles in a safe and efficient manner.
Practices safety at all times in performance of required
- Operates other bus-related equipment to include wheelchair
lifts, ramps, phone, and two-way radio systems.
- Assists customers who require special assistance and persons
with disabilities as required by the American with Disabilities Act
(ADA), including the securement of mobility aids and physically
evacuates passengers in any emergency situation.
- Provides information to the public regarding transportation
services and transit policy.
- Provides information to supervisor and dispatch regarding route
problems or traffic changes.
- Collects appropriate passenger fares.
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the rules, regulations and standard operating
procedures for motor coach vehicles.
- Ability to safely operate HCTD transit coaches and
- Ability to resolve customer complaints courteously and
- Ability to work under stressful situations and manage multiple
- Ability to communicate effectively, and follow oral and written
- Ability to prepare accurate records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with staff, other agencies and the general public
using tact, courtesy and good judgment.
- Ability to perform all essential functions of a motor coach
operator on an emergency basis.
- Ability to successfully complete all operator training programs
as required by HCTD, state and federal rules and regulations.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Physical ability to perform the essential functions of the
WORKING CONDITIONS The work environment characteristics
described here are representative of those an employee encounters
while performing the essential functions of this job. Duties are
performed while sitting for long periods of time in a motor
vehicle. Duties also require periodic standing to assist
passengers. Employees may be exposed to road hazards related to
adverse weather conditions or vehicular traffic. The employee may
be exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The noise level in the
work environment is usually moderate. Duties may be performed
outside of normal working hours at varying hours of the day,
including weekends and holidays.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS While performing the duties of the job, the
employee is regularly required to talk. Must have good hearing and
sight, including good depth perception, color vision, close vision,
distant vision, and the ability to adjust focus. Must be able to
bend, stoop, twist, turn, walk, climb, crouch, stand, and kneel.
Moderate bending and crouching may be required to assist passengers
in boarding and exiting the transit vehicle. Must be physically
capable of assisting passengers who use assistive walking devices,
wheelchairs or other special equipment. Must be able to frequently
lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Must be willing and able to
administer CPR and first aid.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Must have a valid drivers' license
- Regular attendance and reliability is critical to business
- Available and willing to work varying shifts, hours and days as
assigned to include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and
- Must be willing and able to drive fixed route vehicle, special
transit vehicle, or passenger van.
- Have no more than one (1) moving violation in the past 12
- Must have reliable means of communication, i.e., home
telephone, cellular phone.
- Public bus driving experience highly desirable.
SUPPLEMENTAL REQUIREMENTS This position is classified as
safety-sensitive and is required to undergo and successfully pass
pre-employment drug and/or alcohol testing, criminal background
check, driving record check, and Department of Transportation (DOT)
physical examination prior to appointment to position.
This job description is not intended and should not be construed
to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts
or working conditions associated with this job.
The Hop is an Equal Opportunity Employer.